Tuesday, April 22, 2014

14th Week: Struggling a Little

This week has been a bit of a struggle. I know that I can't have a stellar week every week, and the
lifeandptsd.wordpress.com
challenging weeks make the good weeks worthwhile. I know all this, but I still let these difficult weeks get to me. Now, the reason why it was difficult. I can't really put my finger on it except that I'm feeling a bit frustrated. It is frustration with the job application process and the work load that has increased as I finish out the semester. It is also frustration at a few students that continue to not pay attention or get their work done over and over. It is this same frustration, though, that snaps me back to reality and lets me know that I have a job to do and I need to set aside my own feelings so that I can help the students. I allowed myself a few bad days, but I took the weekend to relax, refresh and renew by exercising, spending time with my daughter, pulling some weeds, and getting my house in order. These things helped me to put things into perspective and come back to school on Monday with a fresh attitude and enthusiasm for these last few weeks of the semester.

While it is nearly the end of the semester, it is just as important to stay engaged and focused because the students are going to want to slack off or disengage. It is my responsibility to keep them excited about the material and completing the work. This is a difficult task at best. My 6th Hour Entrepreneurship class were the main culprits for the lousy week last week. Trying to teach an easy lesson, they were falling asleep, staring blankly into space, and completely disengaged. I tried asking easy questions to get them back on track, but that only seemed to make for awkward silences. One of which lasted for a good two minutes. Frustrated, I finished the lesson without asking more questions and let them work at their computer stations.

This week was also a week of planning for the end of the semester. I have a Teacher Work Sample due on May 1st, finishing out classes at Front Range Community College, and finishing out my classes at Poudre High School. I have plans laid out for all my classes through the end of the semester, for which I'm happy to be organized. It's getting close, and I know that I've said it before, but I am really looking forward to the summer and some leisure time that I haven't had for the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment