Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mental Illness Stigma in High School

I wasn't planning on having any side posts from the ones that I post at the end of each week, but this is something that has been bothering me. I met with a student this week, and he wrote in his description that one of his weaknesses was that he worries a lot. So, I asked him if he has any anxiety about certain situations, and he was very reluctant to use the word anxiety. He doesn't have anxiety; he just worries a lot.

This bothered me because while his worrying or anxiety may not necessarily be a problem, how many other students are not coming forward with mental illness because of the stigma that we have created around it? A student would rather classify him or herself as sad or worrying too much to avoid being labeled, but essentially, not allowing them to get help that they may need to learn to cope with these emotions in a positive way.

As a teacher, it is my responsibility to look after the students and to report any behavior or conduct that is of concern; however, what about the students that are just on the fringe? The students that may not seem to have any problems, but don't feel like they can talk about them because being perfect is also part of the game. As high school students, they have to be perfect in order to get in the right college, play sports, learn a foreign language, play the piano, make their parents proud, and the long list of responsibilities that they have on their plates as they get to their last year of high school.

As I continue through my semester of student teaching, I want to continue to learn about how I can help these kids. While I do have high expectations for students in my class, I do give them plenty of time in class to complete their assignments. This will be something I will continue to look out for and find resources that can help me and the students to learn to deal with their problems in a healthy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment