Monday, February 24, 2014

RSS Feeds for Collaboration

In an effort to stay organized with education and technology, I have discovered an RSS Reader (Real Simple Syndication) that helps to keep me current on the latest news coming from my favorite blogs. This is an important aspect of an RSS feed because the RSS Reader is only going to show the updated blogs that I have chosen to put there. I have to continually go through the reader and determine if the blogs are useful to me or if they need to be deleted from my stream, and I choose only blogs that will benefit me in my career or in areas of interest.

The RSS Reader tool that I am using is Digg.com, and it is a free tool that anyone can sign up for and use as part of their personal or professional life. I have subscribed to multiple educational blogs that I have found useful in working with technology in the classroom. In this way, I can stay updated on all the latest technologies for education and how to implement them effectively in the classroom. The reader is updated as the blogs are updated, so I get real-time information that I can use instantly. 

Digg.com has another important feature. You can "like" or in Digg.com's case "digg" a particular blog post that then goes into your "Diggs" folder and creates a separate Digg RSS feed in and of itself. This Digg RSS feed has favorite blog posts that you can navigate to easily and even share the URL with other teachers or collaborators so that they can also benefit from articles that you have found particularly interesting. You can navigate to my Digg RSS Feed via the link below to see some of the blogs that I have been following for my lessons and research:


Diigo.com is a website that provides an organizational tool for keeping track of websites that I have found useful in both my professional and personal life. It has many capabilities including bookmarking sites I have found to be important as well as being able to highlight sections of the webpage that are pertinent to me and my own lessons. 

One of the major benefits of using Diigo.com is that I can access Diigo from any computer using my username and password, which allows me to also access the sites that I have been using for planning lessons or researching information for lessons. Diigo.com has an RSS feed as well that I can send to other instructors to follow so that they can use some of the same websites that I have referenced for their own classes. Essentially, it can be a fast and efficient collaboration tool for teachers around the world. We can share new technologies, research, techniques, and information instantly to keep our classrooms as interesting and relevant as possible. You can navigate to my Diigo.com RSS Feed via the link below and see my recent work and interests.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made it over there yet to check it out, but I will!
    Thanks for the info :)

    ReplyDelete